Our innovative curriculum focuses on professionalism, communication, and stress tolerance, while incorporating the arts, yoga, and mindfulness. Interns learn in a risk-free environment, where they can make mistakes, practice work situations, receive feedback, and enter the workplace more successfully and confidently.
BroadFutures Program Dates:
- Summer 2023 Internship Program:
- Dates: 6/5/23 – 8/4/23
- Final Deadline: March 1st, 2023 — applicants will be notified of their application status by early April
- Cost: $6,325.00 – Full and Partial Need-Based Scholarships Available
TrainingBefore our participants even set foot in their internships, they engage in comprehensive training with a focus on professionalism, communications, workplace readiness skills, and social-emotional learning.
All of our participants engage in comprehensive training with a focus on professionalism, communications, workplace readiness skills, and social-emotional learning. Our innovative training prepares young people for college and careers. Due to the present challenges posed by COVID-19, we are presently delivering our curriculum virtually. We have been successful in delivering the same curriculum virtually that we typically deliver in person. We integrate the arts through the use of role-play, improvisation and graffiti art to facilitate engagement, create community, and solidify understanding of the curriculum. Yoga and mindfulness are used to address stress reduction and tolerance.
Our Virtual Strengths programs provide 5 weeks of intensive college and career readiness training. For our internship programs, we engage in an initial two-week training, and our training does not stop there, but continues every Friday during the course of the internship.
TRAINING CURRICULUM (in-person and virtual)
- Goal-setting and strategy implementation
- Time management and organization
- Professional communication
- Navigating remote learning and the virtual workspace
- Self-Advocacy and Taking Responsibility
- Disclosure and Accommodations
- Learning how to effectively disclose your disability or learning style and ask for supports to be successful in school and in the workplace
- Career exploration
- Job Searching and Networking
- Mock Interviews
- Resume Writing, Cover Letters, LinkedIn Profiles
- Financial Literacy
FRIDAY TRAININGS DURING INTERNSHIP
- Group and individual discussions on areas of success and areas for growth
- Reinforce skills learned in training and role-play areas for effective workplace performance and improvement
- Assessments of ongoing goals and strategies
- Speakers from the community
- Group outings
*BroadFutures does not pay commissions for referrals to our programs.*
MentorshipInterns work side-by-side with mentors and coaches who provide support and act as liaisons between interns, employers, and families.
Interns work side-by-side with mentors and coaches who provide support and act as liaisons between interns, employers, and families. Together they provide:
- Provide goal-setting and development before the program even begins.
- Continue to support and monitor the progress of interns’ goals throughout the program, both individually during the workweek and as a group during Friday trainings.
- Work to support and communicate with employers to ensure interns are succeeding in their internships.
InternshipsFollowing training, interns are placed into paid positions throughout the Washington, DC metro area, working a minimum of 20 hours per week for 2 to 3 months. Our employers include a wide range of industries and organizations.
Following training, interns are placed into paid positions throughout the Washington, DC metro area, working a minimum of 20 hours per week for 2 to 3 months. Our employers include a wide range of industries and organizations.
We have a diverse group of employer partners, representing the financial, energy, hospitality, non-profit, marketing, government and international business sectors. From The Smithsonian Institution to Senate and Congressional offices, the variety of opportunities allows us to carefully match employers’ needs with interns’ interests, skills, and strengths. To learn more about our employers, click here.
- 7-11 week PAID INTERNSHIPS
- Generally 20 hours a week, Monday through Thursday
- Paid at least the DC minimum wage
- Summer program — $5,500
- Interns will be expected to pay for their own housing, food, and transportation during their participation in the BroadFutures program.
- BroadFutures has a strong commitment to SCHOLARSHIPS. Admission decisions are need blind and scholarships are available to qualified students.
- If you would like to see a copy of our Diversity and Inclusion plan, you may download a copy here.